Hornung Book
Prepared by:
Marilyn Turney and Laurie Turney (Click any photo to view larger)

Richard John Hornung June 17, 1906 - January 25, 1988 Othelia Catherine Stambaugh Hornung August 13, 1910 - March 13, 1996

Memories of my Parents
I am a very lucky person. I had wonderful parents, Richard (Dick) John Hornung and Othelia (Teet) Catherine Stambaugh Hornung. They were both deeply devoted to my sister Nancy and me, and also to their families. This is a collection of stories from my memory, along with pictures and history of my parents and the Hornung family. Marilyn Jean Hornung Turney August 2016

Early Childhood & Family History
This book is about my father, who I consider to be a GREAT man. His life began as the baby of eleven children to parents John Hornung and Emma Marie Linden Hornung, a little farm boy who attended a one-room school just down the road from the family Homestead in Ottawa, Ohio in the early 1900s. His education at the New England School on M Road ended in the 8th grade.

New England School
Above: New England School County Road M - Ottawa, Ohio Circa: 1906-1908 Louise Hornung Front Row Center All Others Unknown
Above: New England School Country Road M - Ottawa, Ohio Circa: 1910-1912 Front Row: Richard Hornung 3rd from Left, all others unknown Middle Row: Louise Hornung, Center Alberta Hornung, Far Right

Book of Descendants
First Generation - (Great-Grandparents of Richard Hornung) Children of Hornung & Catherine (Born about 1795): 1 - John Hornung (Born about 1830) 2 - Peter Hornung (Born about 1832) 3 - Valentine Hornung (Born about 1834) 4 - Eberhard Hornung (Born about 1836/Died 1863 in Cincinnati, OH) Second Generation - (Grandparents of Richard Hornung) Children of Eberhard Hornung & Mary Theresa Schierloh (Born 1836 Glandorf, OH/Died 1898 Ottawa, OH) Married 9/15/1857 1 - Mary Ann Hornung (Born 1857) 2 - Katharine Hornung (Born 1861) – Married Francis Newton Ellis (Born 1855), one child Cornelius H Ellis (Born about 1887), Katharine and Frank divorced, Frank died in 1913. Katharine married Albert Meininger, one son Julius Meininger (No known Birth date). Is it possible John and Emma Hornung named two of their sons Cornelius and Julius after Aunt “Katy’s” sons? 3 - John Hornung (Born 6/3/1862 in Cincinnati, OH, Died 11/11/1938 Ottawa, OH) Married Emma Marie Linden August 21, 1884 (Born 9/1/1864 New Bavaria, OH/Died 1/6/53 Ottawa, OH) Eberhard Hornung was born in Germany, arriving in the Port of New York on the 24th of November 1848 when he was thirteen years old, along with his mother, a sister, her future husband and three brothers. They lived in Cincinnati, Ohio, and moved to Glandorf, Ohio when he was 22. There he met and married Theresa Schierloh on the 15th of September 1857. They moved to Cincinnati, and had three children, Mary Ann, Catharine and John.  John was not yet one year old when Eberhard died on the 28th of March 1863. Eberhard’s mother and several other Hornung family members died within a two-week period. Both Typhoid Fever and Cholera were abundant for a two or three year period in Cincinnati at that time. Sometime later Theresa and her three children moved back to Putnam county. In 1866 she married Franz Brockman, and had five children. Interesting thought: Many Hornungs would not be here today had Eberhard died two years earlier.

Emma, Esther, and John Hornung - Circa: 1920 John Hornung Circa: 1928
Emma Hornung - Circa: 1941
Emma & John Hornung Circa: 1928
Emma, Marilyn, Richard Circa: 1938 Emma & Othelia Circa: 1940

John Hornung (June 3, 1862 - November 11, 1938) Emma Marie Linden Hornung (September 1, 1864 - January 6, 1953) Married August 21, 1884 Click obituaries to view larger:

Left: Catharine Hornung Ellis (Richard’s Great Aunt) Circa: 1882 Right: Son Julius Meininger (Richard’s Cousin) Circa: 1910

Left: Richard John Hornung Circa: 1907 Right: Richard Hornung & Sister Adelia “Dale” Hornung Circa: 1907

Left to Right: Frank A Hornung 1884 - 1952 Mary “Molly” A Hornung Roof 1887 - 1981 Julius “Jude” Charles Hornung 1888 - 1947
Left to Right: Adelia “Dale” Hornung Yaufman 1890 - 1959 Cornelius “Neil” Hornung 1892 - 1978 Gertrude “Gertie” Hornung Tietz 1893 - 1958
Left to Right: Elizabeth “Lizzie” Hornung Moening 1897 - 1957 Louise Sophina Hornung Croy 1900 - 1984 Alberta Margaret Ann Hornung Selhorst 1904 - 1992 Richard John Hornung 1906 - 1988

Left to Right: Molly & William Roof Wedding Circa: 1907 Dale & Ernest Yaufman Wedding Circa: 1928 Lizzie & Clarence Moening Wedding Circa: 1917 Alberta & Harry Selhorst Wedding Circa: 1924 Louise & Ray Croy Wedding Circa: 1920

Story of Hornung Siblings
 My father, Richard John Hornung, was the youngest
 of eleven brothers and sisters. His sister
 Gertrude was married to Frederick Tietz, who lost
 his fortune in the Great Depression, and became ill
 and died several years later. Gertrude had a son
 Freddie Tietz and became a working career woman.
 She had an important position with Curtis Publishing
 Company and traveled throughout the eastern United

 Richard’s brother Jude never recovered from his
 young wife’s death during child birth one year after
 they married. His daughter Esther lived with her
 grandparents John and Emma Hornung, and was
 raised by Emma, along with many of her aunts. My
 father, mother, sister Nancy, and I lived in Tiffin,
 Ohio and Esther visited us often.  She was a member
 of our family, and seemed like a sister to us. When
 she was about 20, her Aunt Gertrude helped her get
 a job at Curtis Publishing Co., and she was extremely
 successful. Esther and Aunt “Gerty” visited us
 frequently and were always beautifully dressed in
 hats, suits, gloves, high heels, and to us this was
 very exciting.  They were doing very well
 financially. She always took us shopping and bought
 us anything we wanted – clothes, toys, art supplies
 (my favorite), and books. Our favorite store was
 Woolworth’s Dime Store. Then Esther became ill, very
 ill. She was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. In those
 days, early 40s, the only treatment was a crude
 version of radiation, which was painful and did not
 help. She stayed with us, and we all helped to take
 care of her, and she was very brave throughout her
 illness. She died in the hospital in Tiffin at age
 27. She was a kind, wonderful person. We loved her
 dearly. I was 12 years old, and Nancy was nine, at
 the time of her death. Now that I am older I realize
 what great women Aunt Gerty and Esther were, so
 ahead of their time. They were strong, independent,
 self-reliant and not afraid to enter the “men’s
 world”. I really admire both of them.

 My father’s brother Neil (Cornelius) was also unable
 to recover from his young wife’s death. He lived at
 the old homestead of John and Emma, as did my
 parents, for a short time during the Great
 Depression. I was born there and Uncle Neil called
 me “Smiley”. He wanted so much to have a family and
 a baby like “Smiley”. In his later life he married
 Shirley and had two beautiful daughters. We were all
 so happy for them.  

 Marilyn Hornung Turney December 2013

Left to Right: Bertha Epley & Neil Circa: 1928 Neil Hornung Circa: 1928 Neil Hornung & Daughter Julie Circa: 1962 Neil, Shirley Thomas Hornung Daughter Julie, Circa: 1962
Left to Right: Fred Tietz, Bertha, Neil Circa: 1928 Neil, Shirley, Alberta, Molly, Richard, Ray, Louise, 2 Daughters Jill & Julie, Richard’s Granddaughter Carrie Turney Circa: 1972 Neil’s Daughters Jill & Julie, Circa: 1970

Left to Right: Jude Hornung (Middle) Circa: 1920 Jude Hornung Richard Under Bench Circa: 1928 Esther Hornung Circa: 1918
Left to Right: Jude Hornung Esther, Marilyn & Nancy Hornung Circa: 1942 Gertie Hornung Tietz Circa: 1942 Gertie & Esther Hornung 1942 Albert Roof, Emma, Othelia, Bertha Neil, Esther Hornung Circa: 1928

Left to right: Lorin Stambaugh & Richard Hornung Circa: 1924 Richard Hornung & Lorin Stambaugh Circa: 1922 Richard Hornung & Paul Croy Circa: 1920

Richard’s First Cars
Left to Right: 1925 - 1924

Early Adulthood
My father had both a right and a left brain. He was artistic, once taking a mail order course in cartoon drawing. Later in life, he painted lovely landscapes and still lifes. He also had a brilliant business mind, with good common sense, innovative ideas, and a generous heart. As a young man, he was the first to buy a new Ford Model T. He and his buddy Lorin Stambaugh (Othelia’s older brother), were the terrors of the county, driving 20 miles through the country roads chased by the sheriff. He was always a car guy. He loved cars! (See more on this subject later) When he first met Othelia Catherine Stambaugh, he said, “I’m going to marry you”, and she said, “Oh no you’re not”. They were married September 1, 1928.

 My parents then moved to the big city of Toledo.
 Both had jobs, my mother a telephone operator, my
 father a laborer.  They rented an apartment with new
 furniture. Then the Big Depression hit in late 1929,
 when they lost everything, and were forced to move
 back to the old Homestead, where I was born in 1930.
 My father and his brother worked at the Sugar Beet

Left to Right: Homestead Marilyn Hornung Circa: 1932, 1933

 We moved to Fremont, Ohio, and later to Tiffin. H
 became manager of a Kroger Grocery Store. We rented
 a house in Tiffin, and a few years later we moved to
 a new colonial house. My father convinced the bank
 manager to allow the rent paid to become the down
 payment to purchase the house. This procedure had
 never been done. Several years later he owned the
 house. This is now a common practice for banks.

Left to Right: Family at rental house. 168 S. Sandusky St. Rental House - Tiffin, Ohio 1936-1938 Colonial House Front: 607 S. Sandusky St. Tiffin, Ohio 1938-46
Left to Right: Colonial House Rear: 607 S. Sandusky St. Tiffin, Ohio 1938-46 Tiffin Colonial House - 2010

Marilyn’s Piano
When I was eight years old I wanted a piano. I was constantly pretending to play. I came home from school one day, and there was a beautiful upright piano in the living room. I couldn’t believe it! I was in paradise. My father had bought it for $15 from a neighbor. I loved that piano and began lessons with a great teacher. About one year later my father signed me up to perform at a Kroger Convention for employees. It was a big auditorium and I was scared, but as I walked out I saw my father sitting in the front, smiling and looking so happy. I played “Ciribiribin”, a very fast little song, and played it perfectly not missing a note. As I was bowing, I saw my father clapping and looking so proud!

 During WW2 several Italian families arrived in Tiffin,
 where they endured much prejudice. My father hired a
 young Italian woman as a clerk in the grocery. She did
 well, everyone liked her, and soon all the prejudices
 disappeared. After that, once a week we received a
 huge tureen of delicious spaghetti and meatballs from
 the Italian grandma.

 During WW2, from 1941-1945, on the short main street
 in the small town of Tiffin Ohio, there was much
 bartering. All the shopkeepers were friends. My father
 traded the “hard to get” bananas, sugar, coffee, and
 steaks for nylons and shoes from the shoe store;
 same for clothes from Staub’s Clothing, as well as
 Cheney’s Restaurant for meals and chocolate sundaes
 for the kids.

Left to Right: Richard, Othelia, Marilyn, Nancy Hornung Sandy the Family Collie Marilyn, Othelia "Teet", Richard, Nancy in Tiffin Ohio - Circa: 1941

Left to Right: Josephine Gum - Graduation 1948 Tiffin Junior High School Class Picture Circa: 1942
Left to Right: Jo Gum & Marilyn Hornung Turney San Diego, California, Circa: 1984 Marilyn, Jo & Mike Majors - 2016

 There was a shortage of men due to the war. My
 father trained my mother to be a butcher when she
 worked in the grocery store. On Saturday night
 they worked until 10pm, so we kids were allowed to
 eat dinner at Cheney’s and go to a movie at the
 local Ritz Theater. (See pictures below of the Ritz
 Theater in Tiffin Ohio, taken August 2016) Our
 favorite movie was “Mrs. Miniver”, and we memorized
 all the dialogue and were able to act out the
 entire movie. At that time the draft rules were
 changed and men with families up to age 39 were to
 be drafted. My father missed being drafted by two
 days! I could never imagine him holding a gun or
 shooting another human being.

Left to Right Top: 6th Street Findlay Ohio Original House Bottom: Remodeled House 1946-1948 In 1946 my father was promoted to a new store located in Findlay. He then sold the house in Tiffin with a profit and bought a house in Findlay. Don Stambaugh, my mother’s brother, was more like my brother than my uncle, being just a year and a half older than I. He lived with us in Findlay for several years after I graduated from high school. He worked on the railroad, saving his money to be able to go to college. My parents also helped to cover his tuition, and he was the first in the family to earn a college degree.

 My father then left Kroger, after buying two small
 factories that made tiles for farmers’ fields. He
 invented “brick crete”, which was concrete bricks
 colored like clay bricks. His brother Neil managed
 the Ottawa factory, and he managed the one in
 Findlay. They both did well. This led to my father’s
 business. He used brick crete first to build a house
 for our family. It was a beautiful ranch style home
 with heated floors, even in the connected garage,
 especially nice in the winter. After an article about
 brick crete was published in the Findlay newspaper,
 people began knocking on the door wanting him to
 build a house. He bought all the open land around us
 and built two long streets of houses that sold like
 hot cakes. He became friends with every family.

Hornung Brick Crete House 5th Street, Findlay Ohio Circa: 1948-1956
Left to Right: Front, Back

 During this time in Findlay, my sister Nancy had
 a Junior High School friend who spent time at our
 house almost every day. “Wink” Hollenback had no
 father, a working mother and sister, and had no
 real home life. At this time, my father was
 building the brick crete houses on our street,
 and because Wink followed him around every day,
 my dad said I am going to hire you as my
 “personal  assistant”. My dad became his father
 figure, taught him about working, and helped him
 to feel needed. They were together every day for
 several years. My mother made him feel like part
 of our family, including him for a good dinner
 every night. She was known for always having
 plenty of food ready for everyone, including
 homemade noodles and cinammon rolls. Years later
 he visited my parents in California, along with
 his wife and children. He thanked them, saying
 “You saved my life.”

Nancy Hornung & “Wink” Hollenback Circa: 1947

Retirement in Californiao
In 1956 my Mother and Father retired, sold their house, and moved to San Diego, California where my husband Dick and I were living. Later my sister Nancy and husband Ray and family relocated, followed by my husband’s parents, and Earleene Turney. My mother always missed her family. Most of them visited her over the years. My father began building houses again very successfully. He soon knew plumbers, carpenters, electricians, and roofers. He built eight houses on Willis Court, one of them a beautiful ranch house with a pool for them. Here they made life long friends. They lived in several beautiful homes he built. Their final house was on Hacienda Drive, with a spectacular view of El Cajon Valley, a pool, and a putting green. All our families lived close. My father loved cars. He always had a “new” car. He started with the Model T and also had Buicks, Fords, Chevrolets, Oldsmobiles, and finally Cadillacs. He loved to dicker with the car salesmen. All the dealers knew him. He had a new Cadillac every year, always a different color. They all had a big armrest in the back seat that the kiddies called their “throne”, and they all loved to sit on it. My mother would be furious every time he brought a new car home, and would not speak to him for a week! During WWII there were no new cars for about five years. He bought the first new car in 1946, a Studebaker. All the guys in the family called it the “flying saucer”. The front and back were alike, and you couldn’t tell if it was coming or going!

Left to Right: Ray, Louise, Ken Croy Visit to Richard San Diego Circa: 1964 Alberta & Harry Selhorst Circa: 1972 Louise, Molly, Alberta Circa: 1972
Left to Right: Ray, Louise, Visit to Richard San Diego Circa: 1964 Alberta, Molly, Louise Richard’s Trip to Ohio, Circa: 1972 Neil, Alberta, Molly, Louise, Richard Richard’s Trip to Ohio, Circa: 1972

Left to Right: Murray House Circa: 1955 Nancy & Ray Stahl, Marilyn & Dick Turney Cindy Stahl & Laurie Turney
Left to Right: Willis House Circa: 1960 Audrey Way House Circa: 1964 Hacienda House Circa: 1968

 My father still thought Japanese people were our
 enemies and used the term “Japs”. That all changed
 when he met John, the Japanese gardener who
 worked for several families in the neighborhood. 
 Once they met, they became friends. John and his
 parents had been confined in an internment camp
 during WWII. He was an American citizen. John
 stopped to visit every day, and they enjoyed a
 beer together.  My father never used the word
 “Japs” again. Later when my father was in a
 nursing home, John visited him every day. When
 my father died, he left his golf clubs to John.

 Speaking of golf, my father had never played golf.
 After finally retiring in his 60’s he started playing.
 He was a natural. Ted, my father-in-law, had been the
 Director of Athletics at Heidelberg College in
 Tiffin, Ohio, and tried to teach him, but he had his
 own way of playing. After a few months playing
 regularly, he hit a hole-in-one! Ted never recovered
 from that.

 My father was the head of our family. He and my
 mother were always there for us. They adjusted to
 California living and my father finally did REALLY
 retire. We enjoyed frequent Sunday dinners at their
 house. He often treated the entire family to dinner
 at our two favorite restaurants, Anthony’s Fish
 Grotto and the Chuck Wagon. Every holiday at their
 house we would watch him carve a ham or turkey or
 barbeque pork chops.  Every Christmas there would
 be gifts from him for everyone. He was a good
 shopper with good taste, especially for the ladies.
 We bought them a small electric organ and learned
 my mother could play “by ear”. My father loved to
 listen to her play. 

 My father mentored Ray and helped him build a
 successful contracting business.  Ray’s son Tom
 helped his father as a boy, and later inherited
 and continued the business.

 My father started painting charming landscapes and
 still lifes that included farmhouses, barns, and
 snow scenes. These pictures are now on the walls
 of our homes.

Holidays at Hornung Hacienda
Left to Right: 1975, 1978, Earleene Turney with Othelia 1979
Left to Right: Richard & Othelia with Granddaughter Laurie Turney Circa: 1978 Car Dickering for Daughter Marilyn and Granddaughter Carrie Turney 1976-1978
Left to Right: Don Stambaugh & Richard Putting Green Hacienda Circa: 1975 Family Party at Hacienda Circa 1978 Carrie, Teddy, Ted, Earleene Turney, Ray, Nancy, Julie Stahl, Richard, Othelia & Cindy Stahl

Left to Right: 1974 - Hacienda - 1970 - Lanai Drive
Grandchild Ted Turney & Great Grandchildren Circa: 1986

Left to Right: 1973 - Hacienda House - 1963 - Audrey Way House
Left to Right: 1968 - Hacienda House 1975 - Hacienda House 1960 - Willis Ct House

 My husband Richard Kirby Turney died in 1971 in a
 scuba diving accident at the age of 41.  My children
 were 18, 13, and 9 years of age. I began working
 full time at Home Federal Savings & Loan. Every day
 my father delivered a big bag of chocolate donuts,
 enough for everyone. All my co-workers loved him.
 During this time my parents provided backup support.
 If I had a sick child, they went to Grandma’s and
 soon felt better with her “magic” afghan and “magic
 tea cup”. My father picked up Ted my son every day
from school and delivered him to his job. Laurie was
 attending Junior College, and Carrie was in 4th Grade.
 My father became Ted’s father figure. They mowed the
 lawn and took care of the pool. I would come home
 from work to find a note on the kitchen table “Home
 made Soup on the Stove and Cinnamon Rolls on the
 Counter”. He helped the grandkids when buying cars.
 He shopped around and dickered for the best deal,
 and often got “two for one” deals. He also taught me
 how to do my own dickering!

 My father-in-law died in 1979, my father in 1988, my
 brother-in-law in 1995, my mother in 1996, my
 mother-in-law in 1997, and my sister in 2004. I will
 always miss them all! I am proud to say that I helped
 to take care of all of them during their final days.
Left to Right: Richard Hornung & Granddaughter Laurie Turney - 1987 Richard & Laurie 80th Birthday - 1986 Richard & Daughters Marilyn & Nancy - 1986

Othelia’s Gift - Part 1
My mother wanted to go to college to become a librarian, but after high school she had to work to help her family.  I received an email in 2013 from my cousin, Ken Stambaugh, that described an event I was unaware of that took place in the 1940s between my mother and her nephew, Ken. “Once upon a time in a life far behind, my parents and I visited you and your parents in Findlay for a day. They were raising collies, which were beautiful animals. I think I remember your mother asking me what books I read (this could be selective memory), a question to which I had no answer as I had yet to read a real book, there being none in my house and I in the fourth grade was unaware that I was suppose to read books. A few weeks later there arrived in the mail a package addressed to me. This in itself was a major event in my life; however, it was the contents of that package that changed my life. Inside were two books, well bound and thick. The titles were Lochinvar Luck and Lad of Sunny Bank by Albert Payson Terhune. I opened the cover and began to read...I loved it. Later I received Lassie Come Home, Robinson Crusoe, Treasure Island, and Ivanhoe. Thus I began my love affair with books, which led me to college and a Social Science/English Literature Degree, which then propelled me on to Graduate School and later a career in publishing. During the last fifteen years I have been teaching college courses to the navy aboard ships all over the world, so that brings it full circle and if it hadn't been for your mother’s interest, and taking the time to send me something of value, I may and probably would have never experienced the adventures this journey has afforded. I also remember the clever and fun letters your mother used to send to my parents, who would laugh and laugh, so my aunt also brought joy to our house.” Ken Stambaugh - 2013

Othelia’s Gift - Part 2
Below is a second email I received in 2016 from another cousin, Nola Stambaugh Weber, describing her “gift” from my mother in the 1950s. Again, I was unaware of this. We always had lots of books in our house. I was always reading, and my farorite was Heidi, a book I still have…….Marilyn About once a year, or every 18 months, Mom, Dad, and I would drive from Bay City to Atlanta to visit Mom's sister Maxine and family, which was a long three-day trip.  Our first night on the road was at your house in Findlay.  That is when I received my "installments" of the Marilyn-and-Nancy books, thus saving Othelia some postage.  But the next morning we would get up early and have breakfast, and your Grandma would have packed us a wonderful lunch for the car, often including Girl Scout "Thin Mint" cookies, which I believe that she bought by the case because she couldn't say "no" to little girls in green uniforms, and which she kept in the freezer. So, truly, Othelia-the-librarian influenced a bunch of the cousins to become readers, and thus teachers. I earned a teaching degree and taught third grade for three years, then went to U of M and received a master's degree in librarianship.  I worked an as elementary librarian for three years, then "retired" and stayedhome with my boys for 13 years.  A divorce intervened, but I worked as a business librarian for 9 years and then as a public librarian for 15 years, which gave me a way to support myself since I received no alimony under Oregon law.  (My ex-husband did pay generous child support.)  When I think of your mom, I remember her many kindnesses over the years to her brothers and sisters and her nieces and nephews.” Nola Stambaugh Weber - 2016

Renovated Homestead Ottawa, Ohio - July 2007 Daughter & Granddaughters - Marilyn Hornung Turney Alex & Catherine Lange

Reunions in Ottawa
2007 and 2009

Richard & Othelia Hornung with all seven grand-children - Easter 1965


Marilyn Hornung Turney and Laurie Turney, daughter and granddaughter of Richard & Othelia Hornung, compiled the stories and pictures in this book in 2016.


You are here: From the Hornung Family Photo Story Book Marilyn (Hornung) Turney 1929-1931
Click below to return to the Hornung Family Stories Page

Comments, Correspondence.....
CLICK HERE to e-mail us

Our Policy:
We do not pass along or sell any visitor information. We extend the same courtesy to all who link to our pages.

Page design by by K C Consulting. Banners, link header bars, and pictures are property of, and designed by, K C Consulting. All other graphics and sounds are: Public Domain (Freebies), or granted by permission, and/or site links.
If anyone finds this to be incorrect, please advise me by E-Mail: K C's E-Mail