"Staying at Grandma Hornung's"
M. L. Johnson 1940-1944

Grandma Hornung's home: 1940-1942
Earl, Marietta, and Eileen Moening, and I stayed at Grandma's for a few days to help her with some chores. Marietta, Eileen and I helped Grandma with her house cleaning. Earl helped with outside chores. Grandma had this mean rooster and it kept trying to peck Earl while he was chopping wood, so he threw some wood at it to scare it. The wood hit the rooster and knocked it out. Earl was a very good baseball player. I remember in the evening before bedtime, sitting around the table, the four of us and eating Grandma's big sugar cookies, and dunking them in milk. We girls would get to giggling, to which Grandma would always say "laugh in the evening and cry before bedtime." Grandma had many "sayings" she had aquired in her lifetime.
Grandma Hornung's home: 1941-1944
Our family moved to Grandma's (we moved there so mom could help grandma) Uncle Neil also lived there. One day he brought home a dog for us. Kenny was so excited. He named the dog Curly, because he was HIS dog.
(click photo to view larger)
Curly had a very distinct personality and became a close family member. He loved to go to the creek and swim. I remember the two big gardens, and Grandma and Mom with their Sunbonnets on, working in them. I don't know how much work grandma did or if it was mostly supervising mom, seeing that she did the garden right. Mom always left Grandma help with the canning process. That made Grandma feel good. They canned and preserved everything they could. We had fruit trees, berry bushes, potatoes, tomatoes, corn, celery and all the other common veggies. We butchered, hung the bacon and hams in the smoke house. When you needed bacon or ham, one cut off the mold, then used the meat for what you were making and ate it. I'm still alive, so it proves it was okay. We had chickens and eggs, churned our own butter. The butter and some other cold things we sometimes kept in the root cellar outside the kitchen door. Loved it when the Watkins Salesman or Fuller Brush man came by with all their goodies and wares. Watkins had the best Vanilla around, probably still does. There was an apple tree at the East side of the house that was great for climbing and I used to spend a lot of time doing just that. Grandma loved flowers and under the apple tree was one of Grandma's favorite areas, a Rock Garden, filled with beautiful flowers.
Click to view Grandma's flowers.
Grandma had many, many flower beds. There were flower beds all around the sides of the house, along the outside of the gardens, two big round beds, near the front of the house, then two smaller ones about in the middle of yard, and two small ones down front. I use to get so tired mowing around them. We played a lot of Croquet in that front yard. When a mallot would come off the stick, we would go out to the road, turn stick around in the tar and put it back on the Mallot. It worked! We were sent out to the tomato field to cut tomato worms in half that we found on the plants. We took along a little metal bucket with water for drinking. There is nothing like the taste of a warm tomato right off the vine. I loved picking one, washing it off and eating it. Played a lot out under the shade tree in the front yard, near the house, toward the West. Made Hollyhock dolls. Sat out there and read. During the summer, one spent very little time in the house. Outside was where one wanted to be. We played "Andy, Andy Over", over the top of the Smoke House/Wood Shed. We also played "Kick the Can". We also played "Cops and Robbers". We made our guns out in the barn. We whittled them from wood, holding them in the vise. We then drove a nail in for the trigger. None of us grew up to be murderers because we pretended to shoot each other. How sad, that boys and girls cannot be boys and girls today!! There was always so much to do. As I entered high school I always mowed the yard. The neighbors across the road had hired a high school boy to work as a "hired hand" for a couple of summers. They would found out when I was to mow the yard and would have him mow theirs at the same time. That way he would hurry to get done in order to say he finished before I did. Otherwise he liked to dilly-dally and would take forever to mow. Could not have a girl mow faster and better than he. I also had my first date while we lived at grandma's. Not with the neighbor's hired hand, but with a guy who eventually married a cousin of mine.
Grandma Hornung's home:
by K. E. Croy One thing not previously mentioned in any of the stories about the Hornung home is the fact that we were the proud owners of a Three-Hole Privy. Several cousins have made similiar comments as the following, "The 3 hole out house (2 BIG ONES & 1 small one) will never be forgotten and I would not call it a good memory but an interesting experience.".......... Cousin George This recent comment said the story certainly had to be told!!
You are here:
Staying at Grandma Hornung's
- M. L. Johnson 1940-1944
Click to return to the Croy Family Storys Page

Comments, Correspondence.....
CLICK HERE to e-mail us

Our Policy:
We do not pass along or sell any visitor information. We extend the same courtesy to all who link to our pages.

Page design by by K C Consulting. Banners, link header bars, and pictures are property of, and designed by, K C Consulting. All other graphics and sounds are: Public Domain (Freebies), or granted by permission, and/or site links.
If anyone finds this to be incorrect, please advise me by E-Mail: K C's E-Mail