Death of Elsey Jane Croy
Taken from an unknown newspaper article.
b. 07 Apr 1869 - d. 16 Jun 1896
Last Saturday, Miss Croy, a cook in a restaurant at
Ottawa, was fatally burned by a gasoline explosion.
She was standing close by the stove when an
attendant filled the tank without extinguishing the
flame and the can exploded, throwing oil everywhere.
She ran, a sheet of flame, to the street where the
fire was extinguished, but too late. The flesh was
burned from her limbs and she died in great agony
Sunday morning. Miss Croy was probably 24 years
old and a dwarf. Her remains were taken to McComb
to the home of her parents. The last words she
spoke she requested to be taken to her mother.
Not a very well written report. They state a
gasoline explosion and according to their
description, it must have been a kerosene oil stove.
(nobody cooked with gasoline, even in 1896) She
actually, was 27 years old when she died. No family
stories talk about her being a dwarf. She probably
was small in stature. What that fact, if she was,
has to do with such a horrific story, who knows.
No mention of the restaurant name in Ottawa. The
two early owners of the Croy restaurant in the Paul's
Rex Theatre block are, Charles Ferrall, Star
restaurant, then Agner and Frantz Restaurant. Not
able to find any dates with the two businesses.